INFO ABOUT BROWNS LAKE
Browns Lake is a census-designated place (CDP) in Racine County. The population was 2,084 at the 2010-14 census. The lake is 397 acres, has an average depth of 8 feet and a maximum depth of 44 feet. Fish include panfish, largemouth bass, northern pike and walleye.
Public boat access is available at Fischer County Park Boat Launch, located at 30526 Durand Avenue. The park has two launch lanes. The launch fee, daily and annual, is based on boat size. The boarding dock, and route of travel to it, is ADA accessible. It has restrooms with flush toilets.
Invasive species that currently exist in Browns Lake are: Asiatic Clam (Corbicula), Curly-Leaf Pondweed, Eurasian Water-Milfoil, Hybrid Eurasian / Northern Water-Milfoil, Spiny Naiad, Zebra Mussel. Learn how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species, here.
Fischer County Park is also home of the the 2019 Division 2 State Champion Aquaducks, a volunteer, non-profit, family oriented organization that produces amazing water ski shows for the community, free of charge.
Bremner’s Island on Browns Lake is located near the western edge of Brown’s Lake, close to Lake Street and the Island View condominiums. The island was first settled by Julius Lueck and his family, who occupied it by squatter’s rights. About 1874, the island became a summer retreat for members of Gideon’s Band and their families. Gideon’s Band was a social group of mainly Racine citizens and well-known western railroad men. In 1876, band member Fred Wild, purchased the island for $14 and named it Island Wild. Fred gave the island to Gideon’s Band and the organization built a hotel on it in 1881. It was one of the earliest buildings in the Burlington area to have a telephone. The hotel hosted fishing, boating and gambling! In 1885, the island was sold to the Iona Catholic Men’s Club of Chicago, which renamed it St. Mary’s Island. One of the Club members, David F. Bremner, president of Bremner Brothers Biscuit Co., and his wife, Katharine McGregor Bremner, bought the island from the Iona Club in 1894 for use as a summer home. The island has since been known as Bremner’s Island.